Friday, August 13, 2010

One Movie, Two Endings

Apparently, Return of the Jedi was supposed to have a different, more bittersweet ending than what was actually put in the movie. Han Solo was supposed to die, the Rebels were supposed to be "in tatters", and Leia supposed to struggle as a queen.

I'm not a big fan of Star Wars, so I don't see the real impact of a different ending - if I watched the movie, I'd probably accepted either ending. After all, both would've been rather cliche.

Ending 1: Everybody lives, and everything is sugar and rainbows. Happily ever after. Fairy tales anybody?

Ending 2: Han Solo dies, Luke Skywalker disappears into the horizon, the Rebels are ruined, the new queen Leia tries to keep everything under control. Seems a lot like the endings to Hollywood drama movies nowadays, no?

To me, the endings really wouldn't have mattered. But I'm sure that, had the ending used been what was originally planned, the achievements of the characters would seem less fantastic.

1 comment: