Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Didn't Know This Was Happening...

Excuse my tardiness - IB Higher Level Math portfolios aren't going to do themselves.

So a couple of days ago I found this article and have been holding on to it. Read it and feel ashamed for Canada.

We've always been known as one of the friendliest countries in the world, a shining beacon to immigrants and refugees, as well as war-dodgers. At least, that's how we were in the 70's. Now? When an American against the war leaves to seek sanctuary in Canada, they get caught, and marched right back to the US. Canada isn't involved in the war - in fact, I'm pretty sure Canada is against the war. So why reject others who are against the war?

It's possible that, as service in the US Army is now optional, that some of these war-dodgers joined initially out of curiosity or fervor, but after experiencing life in the army, whatever drove them dissipated. However, what I don't understand is this: correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the US Army doesn't have any policy on leaving the army. Why not, then, just leave the army? Although, I suppose if one needs to attempt to seek sanctuary in a neighboring country, perhaps it's mandatory to stay in service after all.

Also, (again, perhaps it is because I am uninformed) I haven't noticed Canada suffering from any demographic issues. What's wrong with a few pacifists living in your country? Maybe our reliance on the US has gotten to the point where we're afraid of pissing them off. I sure hope not - I'd rather hate to see our peaceful image sullied.

Either way, what Canada is doing, or rather, not doing, is wrong. I hope that Bill C-440 gets passed.

2 comments:

  1. What's wrong with accepting people who are trying to run away from their problems? It's not like they set a bad example for immigration standards for this country, or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, in any case, about the IB. It is completely insane.

    ReplyDelete